Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great tasty recipe that can be used for multiple occasions.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry
- 9 zucchini (peeled and sliced)
- 5 large onions (sliced in rings)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 6 eggs
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll out one puff pastry sheet and place into the bottom of casserole dish, and push the dough a little up at the sides.
- Bake for 10 minutes until dough is lightly golden and puffed.
- Remove from oven and set aside for later.
- In a large pot over a medium flame heat oil.
- Add onions and sauté until soft, but not brown. Stir occasionally to make sure they are cooking evenly for about 20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook until soft, for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Don't drain liquid and let pot cool down for an hour.
- Preheat oven again to 350°F.
- Add eggs, flour, soup mix, salt and pepper to zucchini and onions.
- Pour zucchini mixture over puff pastry dough.
- Roll out the second puff pastry sheet and cut into 3/4 inch strips.
- Lay strips across the top pf the kugel in a diagonal fashion and then crisscross the pastry strips the other way for a lattice effect.
- Carefully brush the pastry strips with a beaten egg.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until golden.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.