Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Eating Well - October 2009
- 1 large fennel bulb, trimmed
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces whole wheat penne
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 3⁄4 cup goat cheese
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint
- pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Cut fennel in half lengthwise, then into 1/2" thick wedges. Quarter zucchini lengthwise. Toss veggies with 1 T oil & salt. Arrange in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast, turning once, until soft & beginning to brown - about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Heat remaining 2 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- When vegetables are cool enough to handle, coarsely chop. Add veggies, beans and water to the pan with the garlic and cook over med-low heat.
- Drain the pasta and immediately add it to the pan. Toss well and add tomatoes, cheese and mint. Stir until just armed through. Season with pepper.