Recipe by Bert's Kitchen Witch
This dish is one I make that is a mix of Veggies, and spices I like. I call it "ZOOM", because the veggies in it are: zucchini, onions (pearl), onions (Spanish), and mushrooms.
- 1 1⁄2 cups white pearl onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms (I use shitakes, but any will do)
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 slices lemon zest
- 4 large garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1⁄2 large Spanish onion (minced finely)
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the pearl onions in a heatproof bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
- Peel the pearl onions, and set them aside.
- Wipe the mushrooms to clean, and then cut the exposed stem ends off, and discard them.
- If the mushrooms are small ones, leave them whole. If they are large ones, cut them in half.
- Wash the zucchini, and then using a vegetable peeler, peel off a strip of the green peel "longways" from stem end to other end, and then skip over about the same width as the peeled part, and make another "stripe". The result will be a "striped" zucchini, with the peeled and the non-peeled strips alternating.
- Then slice the zucchini across the middle into 1/4" slices.
- Place the chicken broth, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, minced Spanish onion, bay leaf, peppercorns, coriander seeds, and the pinch of oregano in a large pan over high heat.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the pearl onions and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and zucchini and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables from the pan, into a bowl.
- Return the liquid in the pan to a boil, and boil until liquid is reduced to about 1/4 cup.
- Pour the liquid over the vegetables, and stir in the minced parsley.