Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
I got this recipe from a Casserole Cookbook. It is one my entire family enjoyed.
- 3 cups uncooked ziti pasta (or other small tube pasta)
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain, place in medium bowl.
- In a skillet, cook sausage over medium until no longer pink, drain.
- Cut into 1/2 in.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until smooth; gradually add milk.
- Bring mixture to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/4 cup Parmesean cheese.
- Pour over pasta, toss to coat.
- In a bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, parsley, and remaining Parmesean, salt and pepper.
- Spoon half of the pasta mixture into a greased 2-1/2 quart baking dish.
- Top with cottage cheese mixture, add sausage to the remaining pasta mixture then spoon over the top.
- Sprinkle with Parmesean cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
A good recipe, easy to follow, and tasty! You can chop some Roma tomatoes and add them in before baking, too. Garlic stirred into the cottage cheese is good, as well.
Yum yum!! This is delicious.I used a good pork sausage with chilli and coriander,and it came out beautifully.A real goody-many thanks.
Delicious. I sauteed some red peppers and onions in with the butter for a few minutes before I added the flour. I also substituted fat free half and half for the milk. I didn't tell my DH about the cottage cheese until he tasted it. He absolutely loved it. Thanks Angela.