Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
A tender pot roast cooked in the crock pot along with potatoes, carrots and celery. This roast gets its zesty flavor from a mixture of garlic, basil, oregano, parsley and vinegar all stirred together in tomato soup. I got this recipe from the Campbell's Slow Cooker cookbook.
Top Review by **Mandy**
This was really lovely, the sauce really makes it. I wasn't able to do it in the crockpot due to power outage & time constraints so cooked in the oven instead. I love the fact that the vegies cook in the sauce and all you need is some bread on the side and your meal's done...can't wait to try it in the crockpot next time..Thanks for posting!
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs boneless bottom round roast or 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium plum tomato, diced
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the roast with the black pepper.
- Put the potatoes, carrots, celery and tomato in a 3 1/2 quart crock pot. Top with the roast.
- Stir the soup, water, garlic, basil, oregano, parsley flakes and vinegar in a medium bowl. Pour the soup mixture over the roast and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours or until the meat is fork-tender.
- Remove the roast from the crock pot to a cutting board and let it stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Thinly slice the roast and put on a serving platter. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and put on platter. Pour the juices from the crock pot into a gravy boat and serve with he roast and vegetables.
- Tip: For a thicker gravy, stir 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour in a small bowl. Remove roast and vegetables from crock pot and stir the flour mixture into the juice. Turn the heat to HIGH and cook for 10 minute or until the mixture boils and thickens.