Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this on en.ljbc.net. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Libya North Africa Note: I have no idea of how much it makes or how long it takes to cook. It wasn't given.
- 1 kg whole grain barley
- 0 kg cumin seed
- 0 kg coriander seed
- 236.59 ml sweet cumin
- olive oil
- sugar or dates
- Boil the barley in water, drain and dry completely.
- Roast the dry barley (stir frequently in a hot, dry frying pan, for a few minutes, like you would do with coffee beans.
- Do the same with the other three ingredients.
- Mill each ingredient and pass through a sieve.
- Mix thoroughly and place in dry containers.
- Label the containers (z-mix) and date them- good for 2 years.
- Serving the dish:.
- Pour the desired amount of the z-mix into a bowl, moisten slightly with sprinkles of water and some olive oil, and mix with finger tips. The mixture should be a little dry, loose and olive-brown in color.
- Traditionally, a handful of the mixture is squeezed into a stick shape, and sweetened with sugar or eaten with dates.
- For best results, zemmeetah ia accompanied with a good size glass of buttermilk, followed by a cup of undersweetened green tea.