Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Here is the recipe for the Strawberry Pie I made the other day. Just for the record I used frozen strawberries and then let them defrost and they were absolutely fabulous in this recipe. Without further a do...The Yummy Strawberry Pie courtesy of my friend Katie. I believe it is a family recipe. This makes 2 pies.
Most Important Step is the Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
For Strawberry Filling
- 5 cups strawberries
- 1⁄2 quart strawberry
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Most Important Step - Homemade Pie Crust:.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 cups sifted flour, 2 teaspoons sugar, and a dash of salt. Cut in 2/3 cup shortening with fork or pastry cutter.
- Slowly add ICE cold water and stir with fork until ball then roll it out and put in pie pans.
- Heat oven to 425°F -- cover pie crusts with foil (butter side touching crusts) and fill foil with pie weights or beans.
- Bake crusts for about 10 minutes. Remove foil, reduce heat to 350°F and bake crusts for another 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Sit crusts out to cool until filled.
- For Strawberry Filling:.
- Put about 2 1/2 cups of whole strawberries into each pie crust. You can keep the strawberries whole or slice them if preferred. Make sure they are patted dry before putting into crust.
- Then clean and slice approximately 1/2 quart strawberries. Bring 1 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add strawberries. Dissolve 1/4 cup cornstarch in 3/4 cup cold water. Add to syrup mixture. Cook approximately 10 minutes over low heat until thick and clear. Stir often. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Pour glaze over whole strawberries in baked pie shells. Let cool in the refrigerator for a few hours to set.
- Top with homemade whipped cream (heavy whipping cream + sugar to taste).