Recipe by diamonds4heather
This is my take on my mother's and grandmother's Spanakopita. Since they never measured anything (and I have also adopted this wacky cooking style) these are my best approximation on measurements. Enjoy!
Top Review by Dana-MMH
This should be a 10 star recipe Heather! I made this to take on our boat this morning and by 1:00 there was none left! This was superb!! My mom, dad, dd, brothers, hubby and I all give this a 10 star!! Thanks, this is a keeper!!
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 lbs spinach, rinsed and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- phyllo dough
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, green onions and garlic, salt and pepper to taste, until soft in 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Stir in spinach and parsley,until spinach is limp.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- in a bowl mix together eggs, ricotta, and feta.
- Stir in spinach mixture.
- Lay 1 sheet of phyllo dough in a 9x9 in baking dish and brush lightly with melted butter.
- Lay another sheet of phyllo dough on top, brush with butter, and repeat with four more sheets of phyllo.
- Spread spinach and cheese mixture into pan and place another 6 sheets of phyllo in the same process as before.
- Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve while hot.