Prep 6 mins
Cook 14 mins
Ok, this recipe is inspired by a sandwich I'd eaten at Togo's sandwich shop. The toasted almonds in the salad really set it off! The measurements are approximated as i just throw everything together and add mayo little by little to taste. I HATE goopy salads, so I use just enough to cover the chicken, but not make it goopy.
- 2 chicken breasts
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- salt and pepper
- 118.29 ml sliced almonds
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 59.14 ml red onion, thinly sliced then chopped
- 44.37 ml whole grain mustard
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Spray the chicken breasts with olive oil spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil the chicken breasts for 7 minutes on each side or until cooked through. (can BBQ if you prefer).
- Chop chicken breasts and put in refrigerator to cool.
- While oven is still hot, spread your almond flakes on a cookie sheet and toast on the broiling rack. Please keep an eye on them because they toast quickly, and you dont want burnt almonds.
- Once the chicken is cooled, mix in the almonds, celery, onion, mustard and mayo.
- You can either put the salad straight onto your choice of bread and add whatever you like on your sandwiches or can be eaten out of iceburg lettuce leaves for a no carb version.
This was a wonderful combination of textures and flavors. I added a bit of cheddar cheese, filled Kaiser rolls then wrapped them in foil and heated them in the over for about 20 minutes. Delicious!