1 hr 20 mins
--Adopted Recipe--Nutrition information will not be correct because it will include ingredients for both variations. Preparation time does not include time for dough to rise.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
APRICOT WREATH COFFEE CAKE FILLING
- 1 (6 ounce) package dried apricots, finely chopped
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup nuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk (optional)
FANNED PRUNE COFFEE CAKE FILLING
- 1Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. In large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar, salt, nutmeg and yeast; blend well.
- 2In small saucepan, heat milk, water and margarine to very warm (120 to 130:F.).
- 3Add warm liquid and eggs to flour mixture. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- 4By hand, stir in enough flour to make a stiff dough.
- 5Cover tightly; refrigerate overnight. Shape into Fanned Prune Coffee Cake, Apricot Wreath Coffee Cake or other holiday coffee cake.
- 6APRICOT WREATH COFFEE CAKE: In small saucepan, combine apricots and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until water is absorbed and apricots are soft, about 20-25 minutes. Add brown sugar, orange juice and nuts; cool.
- 7Grease 2 cookie sheets.
- 8Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; divide into 2 parts.
- 9Roll out half of dough to 18x12 inch rectangle; spread with half the filling.
- 10Starting at 18 inch side, roll up jelly roll style, pinching edges to seal.
- 11Place seam-side-down on prepared cookie sheet; twist into a circle, join ends, pinch to seal.
- 12With scissors or sharp knife make cuts about three-fourths of the way through the dough, 1 inch apart. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 13Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes.
- 14Heat oven to 375:F. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 15Remove from pan immediately. Cool.
- 16If desired, combine powdered sugar and milk; drizzle over warm loaf.
- 17FANNED PRUNE COFFEE CAKE: In medium saucepan, combine prunes, sugar and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring occasionally; cool.
- 18Grease 2 cookie sheets.
- 19Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; divide into 2 parts.
- 20Roll out half of dough to 18x9 inch rectangle. Spread half of prepared filling lengthwise down two-thirds of dough.
- 21Fold unspread dough over half of spread dough. Fold again, forming 3 layers of dough and 2 layers of filling. Seal edges well.
- 22Place on prepared cookie sheet. Using scissors or sharp knife make eight cuts, 1 inch apart, to within 1 inch of opposite side. Seperate strips slightly; twist so filling shows.
- 23Repeat with remaining dough.
- 24Cover; let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30-40 minutes.
- 25Heat oven to 375:F. Bake 15-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 26Meanwhile in small bowl, combine honey and margarine. Brush mixture over hot loaf to glaze. Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Yuletide Refrigerator Yeast Dough
Serving Size: 1 (2174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 423.6
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 54.1 mg
- Sodium 329.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 35.9 g
- Protein 7.4 g