Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great recipe for homefries from my Dad. Reduce or increase the recipe as needed for your crowd. This feeds 6-8. I like to cook the potatoes the night before to cut down on prep time. Enjoy.
- Slice boiled potatoes when cool. Cut to desired thickness. I cut mine up to 1/2 inch thick and not necessarily into perfect slices.
- Fry up bacon until crisp and set aside. You will not be adding the bacon to the dish.
- Put potatoes into pan or skillet containing bacon drippings that is heated to medium-high heat.
- Add onion flakes and stir gently, making sure as many pieces of potato as possible are flat in the bottom of the pan.
- Let potatoes get golden-to-medium brown on one side (five minutes?) and sprinkle paprika over potatoes.
- Flip potatoes over and continue to cook until other side is similarly cooked.
- Serve immediately.
I enjoyed making this variation of an old favorite. The bacon grease adds alot of flavor as does the paprika. I usually use fresh chopped onion and some italian seasoning but kept to specs for this recipe other than I did add black pepper. Keep in mind you will not need to add salt as it gets that seasoning from the bacon. Thanks for posting. :)
Fabulous!!! I am from Georgia and this is what I remember. I used fresh onion and shot some black pepper into it. Everything is wonderful with bacon fat!!!!! Thanks, DeSouter!!!!!!!!