Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A nice variation from other mint or charred tomato salsas already posted. A good choice for me as I have plenty of mints (thinking lime mint here) & plan to have lottsa paste-type tomatoes & hot peppers. Adapted from an email sent by gourmet_recipes_from_around_the_world - thanks Keema!
- 6 roma tomatoes, pan-roasted until blistered, deeply browned & soft
- 2 slices white onions, thick ones, pan-roasted until brown & soft
- 2 garlic cloves, pan-roasted until brown & soft, then peeled
- 4 serrano chilies, with seeds, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf, coarsely chopped
- 6 mint leaves, large & fresh, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, toasted & ground
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Chop together with a knife or food processor the tomatoes, onion, and garlic until you have a coarsely textured salsa.
- Add the chiles, cilantro, mint, cumin, water, and salt. Process briefly to mix. This salsa should be chunky.