Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A simple, classic & tasty pasta salad from my childhood that was a standby whenever we "cooked out". The tangy, salty flavor is a nice counterpoint to the sweet and smoky richness of barbecued ribs or chicken. I would suggest tasting the dressing before adding the macaroni and veggies. If it's almost *too* salty/vinegary, then it will be perfect with the pasta. Also, while it can be made ahead and chilled, be aware that the pasta will absorb and damp down a lot of the flavor in the process, so if it's been chilled a while, taste and correct seasoning if needed.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water; set aside.
- While macaroni cooks, prepare dressing in serving bowl. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, and red wine vinegar, mixing well.
- Add 1/2 of the salt and add the pepper. Taste, and adjust amounts of salt and vinegar if desired.
- Chop celery and scallions, and halve olives.
- Add cooked, drained and cooled macaroni to dressing in serving bowl, and mix well. Add celery, scallions and olives and combine further.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill for several hours before serving.