Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Having bought a young coconut, I had to then find something to do with it. This cake was the result. It is soft, tender, and exotically spiced.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 coconut, preferably a young coconut
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and grease a 9x5 pan or a muffin tin.
- Open the coconut, making sure to save at least 1/2 cup of the liquids. Using a spoon, scoop out the meat of the coconut.
- In a food processor, add the coconut meat, butter and sugar. Combine thoroughly.
- Add eggs & vanilla, and pulse a few times.
- Add the flour and baking powder, and combine thoroughly.
- Add 1/2c of the coconut milk, and once again combine thoroughly.
- Pour your batter into the greased pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes. 20-30 minutes if you're making cupcakes.
This has the consistency of a pound cake - creamy and dense, not overly sweet - and delicious! The first time I made it I threw in some chocolate chips to give it a little something extra. I am going to try adding fresh blueberries this time.