Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
My mom made this for Christmas dessert in 1989 and I still remember it.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, melted
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 24 peppermint patties, unwrapped (small)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking pan.
- In large bowl stir together butter, sugar and vanilla with spoon or wire whisk.
- Add eggs and stir until well-blended.
- Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; blend well.
- Reserve 2 cups batter and set aside.
- Spread remaining batter in prepared pan.
- Arrange peppermint patties in single layer over batter, about 1/2 inch apart.
- Spread reserved 2 cups of batter over patties.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from sides of pan.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Cut into squares.