Recipe by jazzie51
This is a YUMMY coffee cake! It's made with sweet vanilla yogurt and cinnamon! I absolutely LOVE coffee cake! My mom gave me this recipe and I'll never go back to store bought coffee cakes again!
Top Review by Kasha
Not bad for a reasonably virtuous cake. Rose nicely and smelled good. Did have a kind of coarse texture, but it wasn't bad. The yogurt-soda idea is interesting and the first time I have ever seen it. Thanks!
For cake batter
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, mixed into
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
For filling and topping
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- -Preheat oven to 350F, grease a 9 inch round cake pan.
- - In a medium sized bowl mix together 1 cup yogurt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. (The mixture will instantly volumize).
- - In another large bowl, combine 1/4 cup softened butter and 1 cup brown sugar and mix until will blended. Blend in the egg with an electric mixer and mix well. Add the dissolved coffee to the mixture. Blend well. Next, mix in 2 teaspoons baking powder. Blend in ONE cup of the flour. Mix well. Now, add half of the yogurt mixture. Mix well. Add the last 1/2 cup of flour and the last of the yogurt mixture and mix together well.
- - Pour half of this mixture into your greased pan.
- - Mix together the ingredients for your filling and topping. Sprinkle half of your filling mixture on top of the batter in the pan. Spread on your remaining batter out of the mixing bowl and spread evenly. Next, top with the remaining topping mixture and bake at 350F for 35 minutes, or until knife comes out clean. ENJOY!