This recipe comes from my Vita-Mix cookbook. It has always worked well for me when making a low-fat yogurt for general cooking and baking.
- With an instant read thermometer, measure the temperature of the water. It should be at 115 degrees F.
- Place the water and dry milk in a blender container, turn on a run at a medium speed for 5 to 10 seconds; reduce the speed to lowest setting.
- Remove the lid plug and add the yogurt, run for 5 seconds to combine thoroughly, take care not to over-mix.
- Pour the mixture into 2 sterilized containers, cover with a clean cloth and place in oven with light on overnight; the mixture should maintain a temperature of 115 degrees in order to incubate properly.
- The next longer the yogurt incubates the tarter the flavor. Yogurt should be thick, about the consistency of heavy cream, if liquid or watery, incubate longer.
- Store the yogurt in refrigerator and it will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Serve plain, add honey or fresh fruit to sweeten. This yogurt is excellent for making yogurt cheese.