Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very yummy and easy to make bread recipe. The use of yoghurt gives it a light and in a way fluffy texture and also a wonderful taste. This bread goes great with butter or jam or just eaten plain.
- 300 g flour
- 350 g whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 425 ml plain yogurt (low-fat is fine)
- 250 g raisins (or less if you dont like raisins that much)
- In a bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, raisins, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl combine egg and yoghurt. Add to the dry ingredients. Mix everything well and knead into a soft, somewhat sticky dough (if it's too sticky, put some flour onto your hands).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and continue kneading the dough for some minutes. Form into a round bread.
- Place the bread on a paper-lined baking sheet and cut a cross into the top of it.
- Bake at 175°C (350°F) in the preheated oven for about 40 minutes (you might have to cover the bread if it gets too brown).
This was easy and quick to prepare. Local clover honey replaced sugar and I added other dried fruit: currants, dried tart cherries and dried cranberries. This bread had the perfect amount of sweetness with the combination of honey and dried fruit. The one problem I encountered was that I wasn't able to get the bread dry enough to knead. The batter is very wet. (This may be my fault when I made the measurement conversion. I may have miscalculated.) Therefore, I greased a loaf pan with butter and spooned the batter into the pan. Lastly, it does help however to have the ingredients listed in order as noted in the directions. That's my minor quibble. Thanks for posting! Delicious!
I really like this bread, but then, I'm a raisin nut, & that probably says it all ~ I was very generous with them here! This keeper of a recipe does make a dense & simple, VERY TASTY BREAD! Thanks for sharing it with us! [Tagged, made & reviewed in 1-2-3 Hit Wonders tag]
This produced a lovely, but very very dense and thick crusted bread. The recipe omitted the egg in the ingredient list - and required an extra 25 minute baking time.