Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Wonderful sweet cake from The Book of Greek Cooking by Lesley Mackley(present from my second cousin.)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 375 F (190 C).
- Grease and line a 9- inch round cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until creamy.
- Gradually mix in oil.
- Stir baking soda into yogurt.
- Stir yogurt and half the lemon zest into egg yolk mixture.
- Sift flour and baking powder into mixture and fold carefully.
- Beat eggwhites until stiff but not dry, then fold into batter.
- Pour mixture into the prpared pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes. Leave in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar and sprinkle remaining lemon zest over the top.
Has anyone made this successfully? I followed exactly (ok, I used dried orange peel instead of zest) and ended up with a raw mess. Should I have used 2 9" pans? I am sorry I wasted all of those nice ingredients.