Recipe by Charishma_Ramchandani
This soup smells so good while cooking. It tastes even better the next day.
Top Review by gibblet
Sorry, but this was very dissapointing. I followed directions as written, but soup was very watery and very bland. [Editor's Note: recipe updated as a result of this review 4/16/03]
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 cup dried yellow lentils (yellow moong dal)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken stock cubes or 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 pinch ground red chili pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Add freshgarlic, ginger and onion.
- Saute until the onion is tender and the raw smell of ginger and garlic is gone.
- Add curry powder, ground cumin, ground ginger, chili pepper and mix.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to maintain a simmer(about medium heat), and let cook uncovered for about 15 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover with lid,turn the heat to low, and let cook until lentils are tender (approx 15 minutes more).
- Serve hot.
- For Vegetarian use the vegetable bouillon cubes .