- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups flour (approximately)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- In a saucepan, cook corn meal and milk together over medium heat while stirring constantly until thick.
- In large bowl, mix butter, sugar, salt and corn meal mush.
- Set aside to cool to lukewarm.
- Add eggs, dissolved yeast, and 3 cups of flour and beat until smooth.
- Pour onto floured surface and knead the rest of the flour into the dough.
- Place in greased bowl, covered.
- Let rise until doubled in bulk, punch down.
- Let rise until doubled again, punch down.
- Make into about 30 balls for rolls and place in greased pans.
- Let rise until double, covered.
- Bake at 350°F until golden brown (about 20 minutes).
- Makes good cinnamon rolls also.