Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A no-knead bread made with fine yellow cornmeal. From Cooking Light Magazine.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups masa harina
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fast rise yeast (1 pkg)
- 2 cups warm milk (100 to 110 F)
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- cooking spray
- Combine flour, masa, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- Add milk, butter and 2 eggs, stirring until smooth.
- Spread dough into a 13- x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size--about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until bread is done.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before serving warm.
Instead of AP flour, I used 1 cup regular bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat bread flour. I used only 1 T sugar because I wanted to be sure there would be no sweetness. I had powdered milk to use up so I put the appropriate amount for 2 cups in with the dry ingredients. I started mixing the wet ingredients using only 1 cup of water, and added that to the dry. Then I ended up only needing to add about another quarter cup to get a bread-dough-like consistency. Even though this says no-knead, I kneaded anyway and then also baked it in a loaf pan. It makes a nice change from normal cornbread, with a slightly different flavor from the masa, and really good with chili and cheese. I will make it again soon.
Tastes great and easy to make. I used 1 cup of bread flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Next time I'll use a smaller baking pan, though.
Sharlene, I was going to post this recipe, but I procrastinated ;). Just a few comments: I made this over the holidays. It is the perfect corn bread to serve with Chili or stew because it doesn't crumble when you cut it or butter it. You can slice it and toast it too. The masa flour gives it a very fine texture and a delicate corn flavor. HOWEVER, this is not the cornbread to make if you want to crumble it up for cornbread dressing! This recipe serves 12, and there are only 2 of us, but it freezes well.