Prep 2 hrs
Cook 25 mins
In the mood for bread but not all the work? These fit the bill. These have the texture of a muffin but with all the taste of a sour-dough bread. Yummy when spread with butter, jam, OR eaten on their own. I found this recipe from Mary Bowles on Astray and want to give credit. I couldn't find this recipe on Zaar and think it would be a lovely addition to the database. If you do not have self rising flour on hand don't shy away! Its very easy to make. 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt for every cup of all purpose flour.
- 1⁄4 ounce yeast, one package
- 2 cups warm water
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups self rising flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To your self rising flour add sugar and yeast.
- Pour in egg, butter, and water. Stir to combine. Do not over-mix. Lumps are OK.
- Cover your mixing bowl with tin foil and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins that have been greased filling each 3/4 full.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- The texture of this muffin is a bit unstable right out of the oven. It is best for these to sit and cool till warm before serving.