Recipe by darthlaurie
This recipe was inspired by Dreamgoddess' Yummy bacon and sweet potatoes (recipe 40272) and potato Lyonnaise. It was a hit at Thanksgiving!
- 4 large yams or 4 large sweet potatoes
- 2 onions, sliced into rings
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pan, add the butter and olive oil. Heat on medium or medium low heat.
- Add onions to the pan.
- Saute onions until mostly caramelized. Low heat is better since you want the onions to caramelize and not burn.
- While the onions are caramelizing, poke holes in yams. Place on plate with a little water. Bake them in the microwave until a fork can be poked into them easily and they're firm but not hard, roughly 20 minutes. Let the yams cool enough that you can handle them. Slice them. They may break apart. That's okay!
- When the onions are mostly caramelized, remove from pan and dice.
- Add the uncooked bacon into the hot pan.
- After the bacon is thoroughly cooked, add the onions, yams, and brown sugar. Heat through until the sugar is dissolved and everything is combined. Add salt to taste.