Recipe by Oh! Sherrie
A yummy alternative to pizza that follows the Weight Watchers Core program.
Top Review by justcallmetoni
Healthy pizza!!! While I switch back and forth between the two WW plans, either way I generally try and focus my choices around foods found on the Core list. Doing my regular scan for Core recipes I came across this recipe and knew I needed to try it. Every bit as delicious as I anticipated and point friendly to boot. No microwave, I cooked my polenta on the stove for 5 minutes. The directions were ambiguous on the pizza sauce but I assumed the basil and oregano were mixed into the tomato paste and water. I only used two links so that I could sprinkle a little soy mozzarella on top (less than an ounce). This was so good as the toppings beautifully captured all the flavors of a classic pizza and I love polenta so the base was just as delicious. Thanks! Made for *Pick A Chef - Spring 2008.*
- 709.77 ml water
- 177.44 ml yellow cornmeal
- 4.92 ml salt (optional)
- 7.39 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml basil
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 4.92 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 118.29 ml tomato paste, mixed with
- 29.58 ml water
- 118.29 ml red pepper, sliced (about 1/2 medium pepper)
- 118.29 ml green pepper, sliced (about 1/2 medium pepper)
- 59.14 ml small red onion, sliced (about 1/2 small onion)
- 28.39 ml mushroom, sliced (about 8)
- 85.04-113.39 g vegan sausage links, cooked
- 29.58 ml sliced black olives
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425.
- spray two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans with nonfat cooking spray
- Line the bottoms of each pan with circles of parchment paper.
- To make polenta, put the water, cornmeal, salt, and seasonings into a large microwavable casserole dish or 1-quart measure.
- Cook at full power for 4 minutes.
- Stir well and cook again at high power for 2 more minutes.
- Stir again and cook at high power for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from the microwave, stir in the olive oil, and beat with a spoon until completely smooth.
- Spread the polenta evenly in the bottom of the two pans.
- Place the pans in the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
- While the crust is cooking, prepare your toppings.
- Sauté the vegetables lightly in a non-stick pan until onion begins to soften.
- After 12 minutes, take the crusts out of the oven and invert them onto a large baking sheet, side by side.
- They should fall right out of the pan with the parchment paper stuck to them. Peel away the parchment.
- Spread each crust with pizza sauce (don't use too much or they will be soggy) and top with veggies and vegan sausage.
- Sprinkle with chopped garlic.
- Return to the oven for about 10 minutes, until toppings look done.
- Lift off the baking sheet carefully using a large spatula and your hand--they are not sturdy like regular pizza, so be careful not to let your toppings slide off.
- Cut into fourths and serve.