Recipe by ellie_
Fast, easy and low fat (and doesn't taste like it)- the ideal solution for a weeknight supper. If you are following the WW plan, this is 6 points/serving. The original recipe called for pecorino Romano cheese but I used Swiss (as that is what I hand on hand). Recipe source: WW Magazine (Nov 2007)
Top Review by Lyssie71
Really, really liked this recipe. You canNOT tell it's "diet". I love those kinds of recipes, don't you?! I made some changes - I added about 1 to 1-1/2 cup of frozen veggies to the same water I cooked the noodles in, I cooked the garlic and cut-up chicken at the same time, including some crushed red pepper. I used only 1 T. of light I can't believe it's not butter, and used boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I also used romano cheese instead of Swiss, and upped it to a 1/3 c. (but didn't garnish with any) and omitted nutmeg, but added crushed red pepper. Basically the same recipe, just modified a bit. I also took the author's suggestion and used 1 c. FF 1/2 and 1/2 and 1/2 c. of 1% milk. The recipe turned out beautifully and I think a better name for it would be WW Creamy Pasta with Chicken and Vegetables. Thank you for posting! Very yummy! (Oh yeah, I got 8 2-cup servings from my version....)
- 3⁄4 lb whole wheat pasta (I used fusilli)
- 3 (1/4 lb) boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat milk (or use 1 cup fat free half and half and 1/2 cup skim milk)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, grated (see note in description)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- pecorino romano cheese, shaved (garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package dirctions, drain.
- While pasta is cooking sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Spray a skillet or ridged grill pan with Pam or other cooking spray and set pan over medium high heat.
- Add chicken to pan and cook until cooked through (5-10 minutes per side). Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.
- In a bowl whisk together milk (or half and half and milk), flour, nutmeg and the remaining salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in a skillet (I used the same one I cooked the chicken in) over medium high heat.
- Add garlic, cook stirring for one minute.
- Whisk in milk mixture and cook whisking constanly until mixture bubbles and is thickened 2-5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked pasta, chicken, grated cheese and parsley until heated through (1-3 minutes).
- Serve with shaved cheese (if using).