Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Pan seared pork Loin chops, roasted veggies and creamy orzo. I love roasted vegetables and was tinkering in the kitchen when I created this. My honey and I ate until we were about to POP it was so good! For the chops I always buy a whole loin, (better value for the money) and slice off the number of chops i need for each meal
- 2 lbs pork loin, sliced into 1/2-3/4 in chops
- 2 zucchini, roughly chopped (bite sized)
- 2 crookneck yellow squash, chopped (bite sized)
- 1 medium onion (yellow, white or purple)
- 1 cup quartered washed mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped mushroom (for orzo)
- 2 -4 red ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks (double quartered)
- 1 (16 ounce) package orzo pasta
- 3 cups chicken stock (canned or homemade)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 gallon ziploc bag
- 1 large baking sheet, with rim oiled
- butter or margarine
- mccormick italian seasoning
- garlic powder
- smoked paprika (or regular is smoked is not available)
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- Turn oven onto BROIL.
- In a med/heavy sauce pan bring chicken stock to boil.
- Season chops with salt pepper Italian paprika garlic and Worcestershire sauce and set aside.
- Prepare zucchini, squash, tomatoes, mushrooms and onions and put into the ziplock bag (except mushrooms for orzo). Season veggies in bag with all seasonings garlic powder, salt, pepper, paprika, Italian Seasoning (use lots of this) once all seasonings are in the bag drizzle with olive oil ( about 2 tbsp) seal bag and turn bag to coat veggies well. Pour veggies onto baking pan and spread out. Place in oven on the bottom rack set in the lowest spot. Let veggies roast for 20 minutes and use a spoon to stir then roast for another 10 minutes or more, depending on how fast your stove cooks. VEGGIES SHOULD BE VERY TENDER.
- Once you put veggies into oven, broth should be boiling, dump orzo and diced mushrooms into water and stir. add any seasoning now ( salt pepper etc.). Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally. Once orzo has softened and broth is reduced add in about 2-3 tablespoons of the butter. turn off heat and cover.
- I a deep skillet (I use a 10-inch iron) heat 2 pan turns of OO. Place chops in the pan and sear on both sides until nice and brown but not done. Remove chops from the pan and pour in the marinade and 1/2 cup of water. bring to a boil and add chops back to pan. reduce heat to medium and keep liquid level at least 1/2 way up the chops until veggies are done.
- When veggies are done, remove chops from liquid and drain. I add a little flour to thicken the liquid and use it as a thin sauce for the orzo.
- Plate all items and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.