Recipe by Dancer^
This looked so nice on the table and tasted amazing. I did use the prosciutto, but you can go without it, but it adds a very nice flavor to the dish.
- 3 lbs fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- 10 slices dense white bread
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream or 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 ounces good quality Fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 19 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (optional) or 19 ounces black forest ham (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim the tough ends from the asparagus, lay it in a stainless saute pan, pour over 1/2 inch boiling water, add 1/2 teaspoons salt, cover and place over medium high.
- Let simmer until the asparagus is tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove and let cool on paper towels.
- Generously butter a 14-inch pizza pan, or flat baking dish.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and arrange the slices all over the bottom of the pan.
- Lay the prosciutto or black forest ham on top of the bread.
- In a small bowl, mix the yolks and cream with pepper and nutmeg.
- Pour this over the bread.
- Place over this a thin layer of fontina.
- Bake the torta in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the torta from the oven, and arrange the asparagus over the cheese layer, in a spoke fashion.
- Top with the remaining fontina.
- At this point, the torta may sit at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, return the torta to a preheated 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Makes 8 servings.