1/2 Photos of Wisconsin Honey Bee and Vanilla Bean Pudding
3 hrs 50 mins
Queen Dana's Note:
This was published in the January/February issue of Midwest Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream or 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or 1 to 2 vanilla bean about 4 to 6 inches long)
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup mild-flavored wisconsin honey or 1/4 cup other honey
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- strawberries, blueberries and or raspberries
- whipped cream
- 1In a heavy medium saucepan, bring the milk to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally (milk may foam up so watch carefully). Remove from heat. Using the tip of a paring knife, slit the vanilla beans down the center. Scrape the seeds into the hot milk and add the pods. Cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours. Remove the vanilla pods; using two fingers, press the milk out of the pods into the milk mixture to extract all the seeds; discard pods.
- 2In the same saucepan, heat the milk and 1 cup whipping cream over medium heat until boiling, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- 3Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks with an electric mixer for 1 minute on medium speed. Beat in sugar, honey, cornstarch and salt until well combined. Gradually beat in about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture until well combined.
- 4Add the egg yolk mixture to the remaining milk mixture in the saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat, stirring constantly; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter until melted. If necessary, strain mixture to remove any lumps.
- 5Pour pudding into 4 or 5, 6- to 8-ounce individual dessert dishes or a 3-1/2- to 4-cup serving bowl. Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap. Chill at least 1 hour for individual dishes or at least 3 hours for the large serving bowl or until pudding is completely chilled. (Do not stir during chilling). Serve pudding with fresh berries and whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wisconsin Honey Bee and Vanilla Bean Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.9
- Calories from Fat 287
- Total Fat 31.9 g
- Saturated Fat 18.9 g
- Cholesterol 242.9 mg
- Sodium 171.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 49.1 g
- Protein 7.0 g