Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is really satisfying on a cold day. It's creamy but low fat.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 2 cups 1-inch cubes peeled potatoes
- 2 cups chopped, seeded plum tomatoes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups carrots, cut in thin diagonal slices
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 4 cups hot cooked rice (preferably basmati)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leaf (optional)
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add curry powder, cumin and crushed red pepper; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add milk; bring to boil.
- Add potatoes and 1 cup tomatoes.
- Cover; simmer until potatoes are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Add broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.
- Cover; simmer until all vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice among 4 plates.
- Top with curry.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup tomatoes and garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
I am sorry to say this was just way too sweet for me. So sweet it didn't taste like a curry. I'll keep hunting! It's always worth trying new things though.
This was fabulous! I made it exactly as written. It made a marvelous dinner for me, and heated up beautifully for DH when he got home from working late. I'm looking forward to the leftovers tomorrow for lunch.