Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I came up with this recipe when I wanted a healthy and warm dish with a different texture and taste other than spinach. It has a very simple taste to it, but the ingredients and flavors all meld together nicely. I used all organic ingredients; including the chicken (but you could omit the chicken or even substitute shrimp and add pine nuts). It has a very good taste and is a nice change from ordinary spinach and chicken dishes.
- 1⁄4 cup very good light olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced thin and then cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) bagof mescalune salad greens
- 1 cup feta cheese (fresh motzerella or goat cheese would also work well)
- 1⁄2 cup soft sun-dried tomato, chopped
- heat olive oil and garlic in large sauce or frying pan until garlic is golden; not dark brown.
- add chicken and cover; cook on medium-low until chicken is cooked through but not dry (about 20 min).
- wash mesclun mix well (unless you have bought prewashed) and add mesclun mix and sundried tomatoes and cover; cooking on low for about 10 minutes, keeping an eye to be sure greens don't get wilty.
- they will be done when they are soft but not wilted (you really just want them warmed).
- toss in cheese and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- serve alone or over a bed of linguine.
To cut down on the fat content of this dish, I reduced the oil to 2 Tbs and the cheese to ¼ cup (I used goat cheese). Even with the changes, this still tasted excellent.