Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Mostly Vegetables by Susan Costner
- 1 small eggplant
- olive oil
- 1 head garlic
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet potatoes, peel julienned
- 2 cups small potatoes, unpeeled
- 1 cup parsnip, peeled thin sliced
- 1 cup leek, thin sliced
- 1 cup rutabaga, peeled cubed
- 1 cup carrot, thin sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups green beans, french cut
- 1 cup zucchini, cut 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 cups swiss chard, coarsely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Use white and light green parts of leek.Remove tough veins of chard. It is a HEAD of garlic not a clove. you want the whole thing. Rutabaga should be 1 inch chunks. Use tiny baby potatoes or be prepared to chunk.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Poke holes in eggplant. Pour oil onto baking sheet. Roll eggplant in it and bake until soft about 1 hour. Set aside until cool to touch.
- Peel and discard the skin of eggplant. Puree in blender until smooth. Set aside.
- Bring stock to simmer in large pot. Add sweet potatoes, potatoes, parsnip, leek, rutabag and carrot and cook for 10 minutes. Should be barely tender. Then add green beans. Cook 5 to 7 minutes more. Add the zucchini and chard and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Just before serving fold in purees. Serve in large heated bowls.
- Combine the zest and parsley and garnish bowls with about a teaspoons.
- If you use oils you can drizzle lemon infused oil over soup.