1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from Sandra Lee, I have changed it to make it vegetarian.This is good, even using water to cook the rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onions
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped green apple
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend (Near East or Zatarains)
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 15 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (Newmans Own or you can use homemade)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the onions, the celery, and apple; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in rice, seasoning packet from rice mix, 3/4 cup of the broth, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Rice should be al dente. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in pecans. Set aside.
- 2Place 12 to 15 large cabbage leaves in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted. Cut off thickest part of each cabbage leaf.
- 3Place 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture near the stem end of a leaf. Fold over sides and roll up. Do not roll too tightly as the rice will expand as it cooks. Repeat with remaining leaves and rice mixture.
- 4Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking dish.
- 5Pour marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining onions. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- 6Bake in preheated 350*F oven for 1 hour.
- 7Serve hot with sauce.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wild Rice Stuffed Cabbage(Vegetarian)
Serving Size: 1 (264 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.3
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 12.9 mg
- Sodium 625.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
frozen chopped onions
long grain and wild rice blend