Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Adapted from Sandra Lee, I have changed it to make it vegetarian.This is good, even using water to cook the rice.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen chopped onions
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped green apple
- 1 (6 ounce) box long grain and wild rice blend (Near East or Zatarains)
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 15 large green cabbage leaves
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce (Newmans Own or you can use homemade)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 cup of the onions, the celery, and apple; saute for 5 minutes. Stir in rice, seasoning packet from rice mix, 3/4 cup of the broth, and garlic. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Rice should be al dente. Transfer to a medium bowl; stir in pecans. Set aside.
- Place 12 to 15 large cabbage leaves in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water; let stand for 3 to 5 minutes or until wilted. Cut off thickest part of each cabbage leaf.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture near the stem end of a leaf. Fold over sides and roll up. Do not roll too tightly as the rice will expand as it cooks. Repeat with remaining leaves and rice mixture.
- Place cabbage rolls, seam sides down, in a shallow baking dish.
- Pour marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with remaining onions. Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated 350*F oven for 1 hour.
- Serve hot with sauce.