Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had purchased many vege burgers, trying to find something my MH would like. I finally found something and then made mine homemade with some additions.He couldn't tell it was wild rice by taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained and chopped fine
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour, plus
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup fine minced sweet green peppers or 1 cup sweet red pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mccormick Bon Appetit seasoning mix
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Pour water in a pot and add rice. Bring to a boil, add 1 tsp salt. Simmer covered until rice is tender about 45 minutes. Drain in a strainer.Rice must be pretty dry.
- In mixing bowl, add flour, margarine, baking powder, beaten egg, 1 tsp salt, celery seed, BonaPetite Seasoning. Mix well.
- Add cooked wild rice, mushrooms, sweet peppers and onions. Mix well.
- In fry pan, add 2 tblsp olive oil, fry in 3 separate batches. Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Drop 2 tblsp rice and mushroom mixture into pan. You may use metal rings if you desire to keep into cakes or patties. About 3 to 4 minutes each side. Remove metal rings when you turn the cakes to brown on the other side.Before you flip over, sprinkle one side with paprika.
- Keep cakes warm in the oven.
- Serve with large slices of tomatoes.
- Cover with white sauce or cheese sauce.
- Note: add more flour if necessary so that when you drop batter it will not be thin, but will spread out into a round cake.You may substitute rice flour.
- Note: You might want to cut the salt in half, then if you want more add after cooking.This was advice from the reviewer. I am glad it was said.
Personally I'd half the salt in this recipe. It turned out way too salty for my taste.