Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
Jacq wanted wild rice recipes so here is a great one! A beautiful, summery salad with a refreshing oriental twist. This was originally published in 'Bon Appetit.' It is actually simple to make and not labour intensive in spite of the cook time and prep time - a lot of that is waiting for things to cook or cool.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup raw wild rice
- 1 tablespoon five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons minced pickled ginger
- 2 oranges, peeled and sectioned
- Cook the wild rice in the water, about 35 minutes, until tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Rub the chicken with the 5-spice powder and sugar, sprinkle with salt.
- Bake on an oiled pan until just cooked, about 12 minutes.
- Cool and dice.
- Whisk together the orange juice, vinegar, oils, and pepper.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Mix chicken, wild rice, tomatos, onions, pickled ginger, and the peeled, sectioned, orange pieces.
- Mix in the dressing.
- Cover and chill.
- Can be made up to 4 hours ahead.