Recipe by groovyrooby
Have no fear - there's really nothing fishy about this recipe. I got it from my Russian Culture teacher after a food-sharing day. It's a wonderful and intriguing appetizer, great with small squares of dark bread. The small amount of garlic remains raw to give it a subtle bite. I substitute the mayo for a store-bought vegan version, but any creamy mayo will work for a more traditional recipe.
Top Review by anme
Pretty good "topper" for bread slices. I served this to my guests yesterday and most enjoyed it. I added some mre garlic since I can never seem to have enough garlic in my food. I used low fat mayo because thats what I had in my house. I also added some honey to the onion to carmelize them and make them more sweeter at the end of the cooking process. I think next time I will not put them thru the food processor because I feel I would have liked this better with more chuncky pieces of mushrooms and onions. Over all a pretty good recipe I plan on making again.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh porcini mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 lbs portabella mushrooms or 1 1⁄2 lbs cremini mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (optional)
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Wipe mushrooms clean.
- Seperate stems from caps and coarsely chop both parts.
- Heat 3 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their liquid.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and continue to cook and stir until the mushrooms reabsorb their liquid and begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in the same skillet. Saute the onion until just browned on the edges, then turn heat down to medium until onions are deep golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Combine the mushrooms, onions, and garlic in a food processor until minced but not pureed.
- In a large bowl combine the mushroom mixture, mayo, lemon juice, dill (if using), salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour to let flavors mingle.