1/1 Photo of Whole Wheat Soda Bread
1 hr 5 mins
This is so good with butter and currant jelly that I could eat an entire loaf myself!! It is from Christopher Kimball's "The Yellow Farmhouse Cookbook". Although Irish in origin, this is a new world version from a New Englander - (ZWT3)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oven to 450°F.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, wheat germ, salt and baking soda.
- 3Using your fingertips, work the softened butter into the flour mixture.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk the egg.
- 5Add the buttermilk to the egg; mix well.
- 6Make a well in the flour and add most of the buttermilk/egg mixture - reserving about 1/4 cup.
- 7Use your hands to combine the dry and wet ingredients until it forms a loose dough.
- 8If the dough will not come together, add some or all of the remaining buttermilk/egg mixture.
- 9On a well-floured surface, turn out the dough.
- 10Sprinkle the dough with flour and shape it into a 7-8 inch circle.
- 11Flatten it slightly with the tips of your fingers.
- 12Place the loaf on a baking sheet (I line mine with parchment paper).
- 13Score (criss-cross) the top of the loaf with a bread knife, cutting about 1/4 inch deep, and making three cuts in one direction and 3 more cuts crossing them.
- 14Bake for 15 minutes at 450°F.
- 15Reduce the heat to 400 F and continue baking another 20 minutes.
- 16If you have an instant read thermometer, insert it halfway into the bottom of the loaf.
- 17The thermometer should read 190/195 F when baked.
- 18Let cool for 15 minutes; then serve.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Wheat Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (896 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1956.3
- Calories from Fat 366
- Total Fat 40.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.7 g
- Cholesterol 287.2 mg
- Sodium 5385.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 333.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 35.7 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 75.7 g