Whole Wheat Brown Sugar Soda Bread
Adding whole wheat flour to the traditional Irish soda bread recipe makes a rustic, hearty quick bread that pairs beautifully with the evening meal. The caraway seeds -- added to the dough and sprinkled on top of the loaf add a unique flavor. The recipe comes courtesy iVallage.com
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar or 1/8 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pices
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Prehart oven to 350 degrees; grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- Combine the flours, brown sugar,baking powder, salt, soda and caraway seeds in a food processor and pluse 2 times just to blend.
- Add butter and pluse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Pour in buttermilk and pluse JUST to combine.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured board, knead 3 or 4 times and shape into a ball.
- Place dough on prepared baking sheet.
- Using a serrated knife, make an X on the top of the bread; sprinkle with caraway seeds, if desired.
- Bakefor 55 minutes to 1 hour until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before slicing; serve with butter.