Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Southern Living Magazine October 2004...although how it ended up in my files, I don't know. ;)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Dissolve baking soda in milk; stir in molasses. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spoon into a greased and floured 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.
- If desired, you can substitute 3/4 cup chopped dates for the raisins.
Surprised someone hasn't reviewed this simple and very tasty bread. I have made one very similar so suggest that buttermilk is used - better reaction with the baking soda. Also you can cut back on the sugar without affecting the bread itself.