Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1-inch florets
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄4 lb prosciutto, sliced 1/4 inch thick and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- ground black pepper
- 1 lb whole wheat penne
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1⁄2 cup grated pecorino cheese
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a big pot.
- Add in 1 tablespoon salt and the cauliflower to the boiling water; cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the cauliflower with a slotted spoon and set aside; leave the water at a boil.
- Heat the oil in a big skillet over moderate heat; add in onion; cook until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- Add in prosciutto and cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower; season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water; drain the pasta and return it to the cooking pot.
- Stir in the cauliflower mixture, parsley, and cheese.
- If the pasta is too dry, add cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Divide among 4 pasta bowls and serve immediately.