Prep 8 mins
Cook 17 mins
Found this recipe in theAs You Like It Cookbook, 2001, & am posting it here along with its vegan counterpart!
- 177.44 ml milk
- 59.14 ml water
- 3 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 44.37 ml brown sugar, packed
- 2.46 ml pure vanilla extract
- 0.59 ml ground cinnamon
- 0.59 ml sea salt
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter
- 8 slice whole wheat bread, sliced thick
- 118.29 ml pure maple syrup
- Place milk, water & egg whites in a blender & mix well.
- Add brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon & salt, blending until smooth, then pour into a shallow bowl & set aside.
- Put butter in a large frying pan & heat over medium heat, being careful not to burn the butter.
- Soak each slice of bread in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds, then remove & place in the heated pan.
- Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the bottom is brown, then using a spatula, turn the each slice of bread over & cook the other side another 3 minutes.
- Serve quickly, drizzled with syrup.
I made this using white bread also. I took 2Bleu's advice & only used 1/2 cup of milk & no water. We didn't miss the yolk because we don't really care for it in the first place. We did feel that this french toast was sweet enough on its own. Made for Went to Market Tag
My son and I really enjoyed this for breakfast. I scaled down the recipe to use 1 egg white and 2 slices of 15 grain bread. I did leave out the water. Great with maple syrup. Thanks Syd!
Tried this with white bread (on hand). We loved the addition of vanilla but not the use of water. Just 1/2 cup of milk would have more than sufficed for 2 eggs. The batter was pretty watery which produced a soggy bread and crisp outside. We missed the taste of whole eggs. Also, I like the cinnamon put on the bread in the pan rather than the batter because no matter how much you stir, it's only the first few pieces of bread that get the coating. Overall a nice recipe, needing adjustments.