Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Kind of like a chapati, a flat pita, or a whole wheat tortilla. It is thin, perfect for scooping up dips or rolling into wraps. You could probably make these on a grill, too, and they would be lovely. These turn out to be around 6- or 7-inch diameter breads, more or less. If you want larger breads (think burrito-sized) then cut these into 8-10 pieces instead of 12.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Mix flours together.
- Mix salt into water to dissolve.
- Add water and oil to flour, mix well.
- Knead briefly on floured surface, let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 equal parts.
- Roll each flat, do not stack them.
- Cook on ungreased griddle, a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Optional - brush with melted butter or olive oil immediately after removing from griddle.
fantastic recipe. extremely versatile. we've added lots of different spice combinations to this and it's been great every time. i always double the batch - because my husband, my 4 year old and my 2 year old start nibbling when the first one is done.
my favorite spice blend has been garam masala, garlic and a little cumin/red pepper blend.
thanks for the recipe!
Susie this gets a 5 star - its easy - its light and goes great with a platter of hummus, babaganosh some tabouli and Isrealie salad...would also go great with a spicy meaty chili!!! thank you for sharing!
Great flatbread served with Thai split pea soup. Loved how easy and great flavors. Will make many times again.