Recipe by Susiecat too
Kind of like a chapati, a flat pita, or a whole wheat tortilla. It is thin, perfect for scooping up dips or rolling into wraps. You could probably make these on a grill, too, and they would be lovely. These turn out to be around 6- or 7-inch diameter breads, more or less. If you want larger breads (think burrito-sized) then cut these into 8-10 pieces instead of 12.
Top Review by adams.wifey
fantastic recipe. extremely versatile. we've added lots of different spice combinations to this and it's been great every time. i always double the batch - because my husband, my 4 year old and my 2 year old start nibbling when the first one is done.
my favorite spice blend has been garam masala, garlic and a little cumin/red pepper blend.
thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup warm water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flours together.
- Mix salt into water to dissolve.
- Add water and oil to flour, mix well.
- Knead briefly on floured surface, let rest 10-15 minutes.
- Cut into 12 equal parts.
- Roll each flat, do not stack them.
- Cook on ungreased griddle, a few minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Optional - brush with melted butter or olive oil immediately after removing from griddle.