Recipe by Sharlene~W
Mashed potatoes make these the softest, most wonderful whole-wheat roll ever!
Top Review by Inge 1505
Good and easy. The rolls turned out fine texured and soft. I reheated them after 1 1/2 days and they were still moist and tasty. When I make them again I will use a little less oil, they might not keep as well with less, but it will be more to our taste. Thank you for a nice addition to my whole grain bakery. :)
- 6 ounces russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 12 pieces
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Place potatoes in large saucepan.
- Add water and a pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potato cooking water into measuring cup and add enough warm water to measure 1 1/2 cups.
- Mash potato in saucepan.
- Cool potato cooking water to 105°F to 115°F.
- Transfer 1/4 cup potato water to large bowl.
- Add yeast and sugar and stir to dissolve.
- Let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining 1 1/4 cups potato water, mashed potato, whole wheat flour, bread flour, oil and salt to same bowl.
- Stir batter until dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured work surface.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more whole wheat flour if dough is very sticky.
- This will take about 10 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl.
- Turn dough in bowl to coat with oil.
- Cover with plastic and let rise in warm draft-free area until doubled, about a hour and 15 minutes.
- Lightly grease large baking sheet.
- Punch dough down.
- Divide into 20 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- Roll in additional whole wheat flour.
- Arrange on prepared sheet, spacing evenly.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 2 slashes into top of each ball.
- Cover with towel and let rise in warm area until almost doubled, about 55 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place rolls in oven.
- Reduce heat to 375°F.
- Bake rolls until light brown on top, about 25 minutes.
- Transfer to rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool completely, wrap tightly and let stand at room temperature or freeze up to 3 days).