Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Just as delicious as the traditional ones made with white flour but much healthier. My family requests these at least once a week. Cook times are estimated, I have never timed myself
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1⁄2 cup dry potato flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 2⁄3 cup dry instant milk
- 5 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- Dissolve honey in 1/2 cup hot water.
- Stir in yeast and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Mix together in a separate bowl potato flakes, warm water, shortening, and dry milk.
- Mix in 2 cups of the flour and beat for 5-6 minutes.
- Add yeast mixture and beat for 1 minute longer.
- Add the remaining flour and knead til smooth and elastic.
- Divide dough in half. roll each half on a lightly floured surface into about a 12 inch circle. Spread 1/4 cup butter onto each circle and then divide each circle into 12 wedges. Roll each wedge, starting with the wide edge and rolling to the point. Place point down on greased baking sheet. Let sit for 20 minutes. Bake at 350°F for 12-15 minutes.
i fixed these to go with dinner the other night. my husband loved them! he said "you could sell these!" they were also easy to prepare. i used white whole wheat flour. please note that mine took 18 minutes to bake. they were a bit dense, but otherwise great! thanks for posting. made for the bargain basement tag game.