Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from the Canadian Living booth at the Good Food Festival in Toronto! Its a crisp, nutty-tasting pastry thats especially good as the base for my Rhubarb Crumble Pie (#91390)! Since it doesn't use butter, you don't need to chill it before rolling out.
- Whisk flour& salt together.
- Pour in oil; stir with fork to form a crumbly paste.
- Drizzle in water, 1 tbsp at a time, stirring with fork just until pastry clumps together.
- Gather pastry together& place between sheets of waxed paper- I save the insides of cereal boxes for this purpose- roll out to a 13 inch circle.
- Fit pastry into a 9 inch pie plate, pressing& patching as necessary; trim edges& press with tines of a fork.
Use excellent quality oil and it will be great. Next time I am going to use a tablespoon or so of my very special hazelnut oil for flavoring. But the best thing is how very easy this is to make!
I am sorry but I found this to be too oily tasting. I wouldn't make this again.
I was really happy with the result and the taste of the whole wheat base in my Apple Pie. I did not actually roll it out but pressed the dough into a pie dish evenly with my fingers. Thank you CL for this recipe. :) Fay