Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from Kraft. Very easy and delicious meal. The recipe calls for a packaged stuffing mix; however, you may use Stuffing Seasoning Mix and make your own.
- 2 small lemons, juice and zest of, reserving lemon halves
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 (16 ounce) packaged seasoned stuffing mix
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon zest to barbecue sauce; mix well.
- Place chicken in baking pan, place 2 of the lemon halves and garlic cloves inside the cavity of the chicken, rub the outside of the chicken with remaining lemon halves and discard; tie the legs together using kitchen twine.
- Bake for 1 hour 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees F, basting with the sauce mixture every 5 minutes during the last 20 minutes of baking.
- Sprinkle with reserved lemon peel during the last 5 minutes.
- Prepare the stuffing mix as directed on package, place stuffing in oven during last 30 minutes of chicken baking time.
- Remove and discard lemon halves and garlic cloves from chicken cavity; skim fat from drippings in baking pan; serve drippings with chicken and stuffing.
We liked this chicken a lot. The prep does not say whether to use the Italian seasoning in the BBQ sauce or on the skin of the chicken. I opted to mix it w/a bit of lemon pepper + olive oil & use my pastry brush to brush it over the skin after I had rubbed it w/the lemon halves. It was moist, flavorful & perfectly done in the stated time. I deglazed the pan w/a sml amt of water & served all as suggested using Pepperidge Farm Cornbread Stuffing Mix. The parts are all excellent, but the whole did not seem compatible. There was no real use for the thin & BBQ flavored sauce & the stuffing was almost odd w/a BBQ chicken. I kept thinking of things more typical of BBQ flavors like French fries, cole slaw & potato salad. BUT that did not keep me from enjoying a 2nd tasty helping. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us. :-)
This is a good basic recipe. It reminds me of beer can chicken only not as moist. I like the idea of the bbq sauce and will try it next time between the skin and the chicken as I don't care for the skin. I will also add more spices.