Tessa Morales's Note:
I love this recipe - not sure where I found the original. So glad that I found it though, because I bought too many whole mung beans once upon a time and didn't know what in the world to do with them - if you have other recipes using whole mung beans, PLEASE let me know.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash mung beans and rice until water is clear.
- 2Using a blender, put ginger, coconut, cilantro and 1/2 cup of water, blend till liquefied.
- 3Heat saucepan on medium heat, add ghee, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, peppercorns and bay leaves.
- 4Add blended items to spices, then turmeric and salt, stirring until lightly browned.
- 5Add mung beans and rice and mix well, pour 6 cups of water, cover, bring to a boil (let boil for 5 minutes).
- 6Turn heat down low and cook, lightly covered, until mung and rice are soft (25-30 minutes).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Whole Mung Bean Soup With Rice
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 445.0
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.5 mg
- Sodium 178.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 17.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole cardamom pods
whole black peppercorns