Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love that I can enjoy waffles without guilt. The whole grains used in this recipe make it healthy and delicious.
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole grain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup oil or 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- Mix all ingredients with electric mixer.
- Pour batter into waffle maker and cook until done.
- NOTE: Any mixture of whole grain flours. wheat, oat, rye, quinoa, etc will work in this recipe. Also you can substitute ground flaxmeal for some of the flour to give it a nutritional boost.
Your recipe was attractive to me because they are "guilt free" and with the addition of some alternative flours they were easily gluten free as well. The flours were a combination of brown rice flour blend, chia seeds, milled flax seeds and buckwheat flour. I used Recipe #40939 instead of the applesauce. The eggs were separated and the egg whites whipped then folded into the batter. With the lack of oil these waffles aren't as crisp as some but I am guessing they will freeze well and then crisp up when toasted. Made for PAC Fall 2011.