Recipe by Dominick & Amanda
This is a Whole Foods Market recipe. I have made it a couple of years for Thanksgiving and everybody loves it! I typically use Amy's brand cream of mushroom soup (semi-condensed) and soymilk instead of buttermilk.
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (organic)
- 2 large sweet onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced (1/4-inch thick)
- 1⁄4 cup organic whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk (or soy milk)
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, garlic, sea salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Add onions and stir well or use clean hands to coat.
- Pour buttermilk (soy milk) over onions and toss again to coat well.
- Place breadcrumbs in a separate large bowl. Add olive oil and mix well using clean fingers. Add onions. Toss well, again, coating every onion.
- Coat a large cookie sheet with olive oil. Transfer onions to prepared cookie sheet (I usually use 2). Bake onions for half an hour, or until golden brown and crispy.
- While onions are baking, steam green beans until just tender, about 4-5 minutes. If necessary, drain green beans and return to pan.
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees. Pour mushroom soup into the steamed green beans. Add half the onion rings. Place in an olive-oil sprayed casserole dish. Top with remaining onion rings.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.