Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
I found this recipe on the net and what a find it was! This is an excellent cake with all the attributes of a wacky cake plus new attributes of its own. Like all wacky cakes, it can be made in the ungreased pan and has no eggs. It is moist and easy to make, has excellent flavor and it perfect for strawberry (or any berry) shortcake. It takes well to any flavored frosting and even better if the frosting has nuts! It even makes good cupcakes, though I haven't tried this. I've read that this cake is a variation of something called Patrushka Cake. I think you'll love it.
Top Review by Kasha
It's a wacky cake and it is white. Fast and easy. Gives a decent result, not as nice as a white cake from a box, I've never found a from scratch recipe for white cake that does though. This one made a nice base for strawberry shortcake and would be good with sliced peaches too. I thik it is a cake that needs some kind of fruit or something to go with it rather than trying to make it a stand alone cake.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup lukewarm water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready an ungreased 8-inch square cake pan.
- Sift flour, baking soda and powder, sugar and salt into a bowl.
- Make 3 holes in the dry ingredients. Into one hole pour the vanilla, in second hole pour vinegar and into last hole pour melted butter.
- Quickly pour LUKEWARM water over all. Beat well. Pour batter into reserved cake pan. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes or till a cake tester comes out cleanly.
- Cake may be served with fresh strawberries and creme fraiche.
- To make a layer cake, make a double recipe and bake in two 9-inch round ungreased cake pans that have been lined with parchment paper for easier removal. Frost with your favorite icing.